DATE: Week of November 4, 2007
LOCATION: View From The Cloud - in the soundproof comments section of the Silence is Golden post.
CALL TO ORDER: Support group chairperson Jeff Lee
ROLL CALL: Jeff, Kathy, Heather, Peter, Leo, Mooselet, Avery, Jennine, Gale, Charli, Carla, Whit, Julie, Yello, Royce, VE, Linda, Rick, Andi, Signs&Wonders, Lois, Neva, Bill, Sandy, Caron, Elizabeth, Betty
COMMENTS: As chairperson of the MN chapter of our new support group for noises that irritate us, I would like to thank you all for joining us this week. I feel we had a very productive first meeting and am looking forward to "hearing" from all of you again in the future.
1) New group name - Several ideas were suggested regarding the name of our new support group. Some of these were:
- P.A.I.N. (People Annoyed with Incessant Noise)
- Sounds without Bounds
- S.L.A.P. (Sounds Leading to Aggravated People)
- Noise without Joys
- H.U.S.H. (Having Unusually Sensitive Hearing)
Thank you for these submissions. These and others will be taken up for advisement and a vote will be held at our next meeting. In the meantime, please feel free to submit additional ideas to the suggestion box at this time.
2) Noise issues identified - One of the main missions of our support group is to embrace a concept known as "healing through revealing." The idea behind this is that you reveal your noise irritations to the group and by doing so - you take the first step toward an annoyance-free lifestyle. Here are the noises we identified as irritants as a group:
.florescent light buzz
.analog clock "tick tock"
.loud neighbor at night
.sitcom laugh track
.halogen lamp buzz
.dripping water tap
.cell phone interference with computer
.barking dogs at night or any small dog in general
.banging bedroom door
.husband's alarm clock
.chewing or crunching
.refrigerator door seal when opened
.the parrot from hell
.Karen's voice (from Will and Grace)
.someone eating a banana
.guy on the radio yelling prices on car/truck ads
.car "bong" sound when door is open
.quiz show soundtracks
.chair legs screeching across a wooden floor
.hotdish ingredients being stirred
.breathing dog's wheezing
As you can see, many "unique" audio issues were revealed. Please do not be discouraged that collectively, we are but one errant sound away from wearing coats with extra long sleeves. This has been a very substantial first step for our group and for you. However, we obviously have a lot of healing to do, so let's all make sure to come right back again so we can get started.
NEXT MEETING: Our next meeting date has not been determined at this time, but a memo will be sent in the near future. In the meantime, I would like to offer a few suggestions for you to consider in preparation of our next gathering.
1. Please remember to turn your off your cell phone. I think everyone agrees that VE's repeated ringtone interruption of "Like a Virgin" violated our most basic edict.
2. Also, please remember to clear your throat if your voice starts to make that "gurgally" sound when you're speaking. But most importantly - DO NOT KEEP TALKING(!) unless you suddenly want 25 people involuntarily clearing their own throats in a futile attempt to get you to fix yours. I know it wasn't brought up as an irritant at our meeting but I feel I need to add it now.
3. Finally, for Jennine and Charli's sake, I would like to ask that you don't bring gum or snacks. Bill, unfortunately, seemed unable to speak without first tossing a handful of peanuts into his mouth - and none of us really needed to witness that.
MOTION TO ADJOURN: 9:00 p.m. (gavel was NOT slammed by request)