What do you get when you mix a disrespectful teen, a fed up mother, a punishment and a video camera?
A pretty funny video actually.
But before you watch it, allow me to explain first.
The other day Charli called Austin on his cell phone to ask him to be home in time for open house.
"But mom, open house is for freshmen! I don't need to go to that!" And then he started talking back to the point of where Charli had heard enough.
Now, since Charli began working full time, we have been leaving the kids a small list of 2 or 3 chores every morning to accomplish before we get home in the evening. But on this particular morning, Charli decided to assign Austin just a few extra duties as a reward for dissing her the night before.
Here's what he woke up to yesterday:
Since you seem to think speaking to me with disrespect is acceptable, I decided to let you live a small portion of my life today. I will expect you to stay home today and accomplish the following chores.
1. Put your clothes away neatly and bring down laundry basket (to basement)
2. Make your bed
3. Use magic sponge and a chair and clean ceiling in upper bathroom
4. Bring all trash (except Brandon's) down from upstairs then take out the trash can
5. Bring down all laundry to basement
6. Sweep living room and kitchen and stairs
7. Vacuum family room
8. Dust living room, family room and both dining rooms
9. Bring towels and washcloths up from casual dining room table as well as any clothes
10. Spray window in kitchen back door and get rid of hand prints
11. Wipe down all kitchen cabinets (do this well)
12. Vacuum basement
13. Clean up your sleeping spot
I will check these when I get home and you will redo what isn't done.
So what was Austin's response?
Well, here's what was waiting for us on our computer when we got home.
I must say, this cracked me up. Instead of the typical reaction of grumbling about how unfair this punishment was etc, Austin instead decided to swallow the pill and have a little fun with it at the same time (with the help of his sister).
And even though I'd like to, I doubt I'll ever see this type of response again. But if this is how he wants to handle his punishments in the future - I'll certainly take it!
Oh, and Austin?
Mom says "apology accepted."
If this made you smile, please don't hesitate to smile back :-)